L.N. "Pete" Thorn
Lee Norman "Pete" Thorn (December 20, 1896 - January 4, 1990) Lee Norman Thorn was born in Montgomery County, Indiana. He was a member of the 1914 Wingate Indiana High School Boys Basketball Champions. He attended Wabash College lettering four years in four sports (Baseball, Football, Basketball & Track) with the Wabash Little Giants. He was a member of the Wabash Little Giants who won the 1922 National Intercollegiate Basketball Tournament. Thorn graduated in 1924 from Wabash College and moved to Warsaw, Indiana. He was the first Director of Baker Boys Club founded in 1926 where he served for 37 years and worked 40 years for Warsaw Community High School. He was named the first Warsaw "Man of the Year" on September 15, 1959. The Pete Thorn Youth Center was built at 800 North Park Ave.,Warsaw, Indiana in his honor in 1979.He died January 4, 1990 in Warsaw, Indiana. The L.N. "Pete" Thorn Award is presented each year by the Rotary Club of Warsaw, Indiana in his honor since 1981. He has been inducted in the Indiana Basketball Hall of Fame and Indiana Football Hall of Fame. Judge Gene B. Lee, longtime Baker Boys Club Board Member noted, "It is my belief that few people have contributed as much to the young people of this community as has Pete Thorn. He taught lessons in living that have not only influenced many generations but endeared him to every person with whom he had any contact"
- "L.N. (Pete) Thorn, Spotlight, Times-Union, Warsaw, June ?
- "Wingate Had Stoney in 1913-14 - Enrollment of 12 Boys", Chapter 20, Pages 258-266, Hoosier Hysteria, Bob Williams, Icarus Press, 1982, ISBN 0-89651-301-7
- "A Night He Will Always Remember", Times-Union, Warsaw, Indiana, June 12, 1963
- "Know Your Neighbor, L.N. "Pete" Thorn", the Paper, Milford, Indiana, Page 14, June 5, 1985
- A History of the City of Warsaw, Indiana, by Michelle J. Bormet, Chapter 9, "Baker Boys Club/Pete Thorn", Pages 115-116, ISBN 0-9617301-1-0
- Thorn, Lee Norman "Pete" - Death, Jan. 4, 1990 - Retired teacher, Coach, top athlete at Wingate High School and Wabash College. Indianapolis Star Jan. 6, 1990. Sec. C p 10, c 1.
- "Pete Thorn Dead At 93", Times-Union, Warsaw, Indiana, January 5, 1990
- "Thorn A Great Community Leader", Times-Union, Warsaw, Indiana, January 8, 1990
Links Of Interest Pertaining To Pete Thorn